Important information for freshmen

The begin of your studies is an exciting time full of new experiences an challenges. Burocratic hurdles are to be overcome. Therefore, entering smoothly into that new life and study routine helps building good basic conditions for the whole of your study period. That way, a lot of discomfort, waste of time or money, can be easily avoided.

Registration in your University town

Registration law in Saxony-Anhalt requires you to register your presence within in the space of a week after moving there. Responsibility lies with the registry offices (usually located near the town hall) of the respective university town.

For further information, go to:


Tax on secondary residence

In case you declare your apartment or room your secondary residence, you will be asked to pay a tax of ten percent of the basic rent a year.

Additional infomation can be found in the adjecent pdf file.

Welcome-money in Halle – Student-bonus in Merseburg

In case you declare Halle your main residence, you can apply at the citizen's service  for the so called Begrüßungsgeld, a financial incentive to encourage students in moving to Halle.

The total sum of one semester's tuition and the price of the semesterticket will be then reimbursed to you.

The registry office in Merseburg grants an annual Student Bonus of 75 euros as soon as  you declare that city your main residence. 

The forms for registrations are issued by employees of the registry office, who will also help you in filling them in. Don't forget to bring your ID, your student's ID and your certificate of matriculation and your lease contract.

radio and TV licence fees (GEZ)

Fee requirement:

Everybody having a broadcasting device in their household and using it as well, such as radios or television sets has to pay  radio and TV licence fees. Whether that would be in a main or secondary residences is not of any importance.

Exemption from fee requirement:

It is possible to apply for Exemption from fee requirement if you are:

  • receiver of  BAföG   support
  • severely disabled, marked RF
  • receiver of aid related to dem social security statutes (Sozialgesetzbuch SGB II) (Arbeitslosengeld II) e.g.: students with children

To be added to the application is the original or an authenticated copy of the BaföG-notification, the disabled person's pass respectively.

You apply to:

Applications can be effected online: or by fax: +49 1805 82 10 10 (0,12 €/min) or on the postal way:  GEZ, 50656 Köln


The monthly charges are: for radio and/or PC with internet connection: 5,76 €,televison and/or radio and/or PC with internet connection:17,98 €.

Health Insurance

  • compulsory health insurance for students
    as student at a German university you automatically become subject to  § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 9 Sozialgesetzbuch -Buch V- (SGB V), meaning you have to compulsorily be insured by a statutory health insurance. That obligation however is not valid for anyone who has access to insurance in connection to another family member.

  • Dependent's co-insurance
    You are freed from contribution-liable insurance, if you arelawfully health insured together with your parents or your spouse. An insurance situation of that kind usually is tolreated up to your 26thBirthday. 
    Past this specific age line the insurance situation can be prolonged while performing compulsury military service, civil service or a year of social volunteering, but not for a year of ecological volunteering. 
    In case of  co-insurance withyour spouse, there is no age line, as well as in the case of dependent's co-insurance for disabled students.

  • Exemption from compulsory insurance
    You can apply for exemption from compulsory insurance in case you are otherwisely health insured. The application for exemption is to be made within 3 month after the begin of your studies or the begin of another insurance situation (e.g. in case of  experation of dependent's co-insurance) with the health insurance company where you were last insured.

  • Health care for children of public officials:  Beihilfe 
    In case your parents should be public officials and by that status you already have received health insurance ("Beihilfe"), usually an exemption from compulsory insurance for students can be applied for. 
    The „Beihilfe“ is only valid up to your 25. Birthday, the same as stately child support. If it is already foreseeable for you that you might surpass that specific age line in the course of your studies, it is recommended to at least consider whether in any specific case exemption from compulsory insurance for students could be the more convenient solution. With the end of „Beihilfe“ payments, you have to privatelysupply for your health insurance, which could cost you 100 Euros or more monthly.

  • Charges for students:
    The fees for compulsory insured students with statutory health insurance amounts to about 78 € monthly (01.04.2011).
    Some insurances raise additional charges of about 8 € monthly.
    For recipients of study grants there is a reimbursement of 62 Euros monthly in health Insurance and 11 euros for long term care insurance. (§ 13a BAföG) These reimbursments can however only be claimed until the end of the 14th term or the end of the term in which you might reach 30 years of age. 
    After that a contribution of 126,90 € monthly is to paid (1.1.2011) (long term care insurance not included)

  • private health insurance
    Most health insurance companies will offer a standard PSKV – rate  (private health insurance for students), valid up to your 34th birtday. It is recommended to thouroughly compare price and benefit before choosing an insurance company. Further information concerning that topic is provided by consumer advice centers. It is important to note that, on the one hand for all family members will arise an individual liability to contribution, on the other hand there will be requested advance payment for regular health related costs..

Working and BAföG

The amount of BAföG-payments does not vary as long as the student does not produce an income superior to 4.818,09 € brutto (3.060 € + 920 € professional expenses + 21,5 % compulsory contribution to social aid) in a space of time of usually 12 months.

Working and child allowance

A child allowance is only paid to parents of a child aged more than 18 years as long as said child does not surpass a yearly income of 8004€. If the status of apprenticeship is valid year-round, the income review is done based on a legal year.
Costs of apprenticeship can be deducted from the income and benefits of the child. Surpassed said financial limit, child allowance will be omitted for the whole of said period and might even have to be paid back.